About Magnetism@homeMagnetism@home is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to explore the equlibrium, metastable and transient magnetization patterns (first and foremost in nano-scale magnetic elements and their arrays, but later other systems may be considered). You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.
The project is based at Donetsk Institute for Physics and Technology.
To understand scientific side of things:
- Please see this preprint (latest and the most complete in this series of works) and references therein.
- In this project we evaluate numerically the total (exchange + magnetostatic) energy of these magnetization distributions (using finite elements and a special "thin film" variant of fast multipole method) with the aim to minimize this energy numerically to build maps of ground and metastable states in magnetic nano-elements of various shapes.
- The source code is here.
- Currently the program demonstrated sufficient precision for building the map of ground states. Improving its precision for resolving the metastable states is in progress.
- Read our rules and policies
- This project uses BOINC. If you're already running BOINC, select Attach to Project. If not, download BOINC.
- When prompted, enter
- If you're running a command-line or pre-5.0 version of BOINC, create an account first.
- If you have any problems, get help here.
- Your account - view stats, modify preferences
- Teams - create or join a team
- Server status